Served as Member of Parliament for Blackburn 1832-1841. High Sheriff
Known as William of Mill Hill (Livesey, Blackburn). Owned a calico
printing mill. Bought Shrigley Hall from Edward Downes and re-developed
it to become the building we see today.
He gave land for the building of St John’s Church, Bollington,
(built 1834) and the original St. Gregory's chapel in Chapel Street,
Bollington. The Turner's Arms Inn was built on his land and named in
his honour, and Turner Street similarly.
Book, Bridget Franklin, 17 June 2016, The Gaskells of Ingersley Hall