Whitaker’s Bag mill or Bannister’s furniture factory
This little mill is located in Turner Street, off Church Street. Just three floors high, The Owlhurst has been used by Whitaker to make bags or sacks, such as flour bags, and in the 20thC, by Bannister Brothers to manufacture furniture and woodwork.
It was owned around 1836 by Edward Sheldon. It has been suggested that the street was at that time known as Owlhurst Street.
The building was burnt out in the 1990s and subsequently converted into domestic units.
|The Owlhurst (mill); II, c.1865; Formerly Whittaker’s flour bag mill, later Bannister’s Joinery Workshop; late 20thC gutted by fire, before conversion to domestic.|
Our thanks go to those who researched and discovered the history that is presented in these pages. Please read the full acknowledgement of their remarkable achievement. Unless otherwise noted, the historical pictures are from the Civic Society picture collection at the Discovery Centre and also available online.
Your Historic Documents
Please don't chuck out those historic documents and pictures! Find out why here.