Home » Happy Valley » Drink, Eat, Sleep » Drinking » Lord Clyde Pub

Lord Clyde Pub

SatNav – OS: SJ923764, Postcode: SK10 5AH, ///foam.deeper.signal

Lordclyde

Long standing country pub with a pleasant friendly interior of cosy corners. Once doubled up as a sweet shop. Formed from two stone weaver’s cottages in 1843.

25 August 2017 – Re-opened after short closure by Sue Johnson.

Who was Lord Clyde?

Address: 36 Clarke Lane, Kerridge, Macclesfield, SK10 5AH
Contact: 01625-404612, web site
Host: Sue Johnson
Open hours: Please see their web site
Brews: Speckled Hen, a Timothy Taylor brew and another, plus a variety of lagers.
Food: Yes, good menu of excellent pub food.
Other facilities: Child safe beer garden.
Finding it: From the Bollington Road roundabout on the Silk Road, aim for Bollington, but after only 50 metres turn right into Clarke Lane. The Lord Clyde is nearly half a mile on the left. Half a mile west of Macclesfield Canal bridge 29 and the Middlewood Way.

 

Who was Lord Clyde (from the pub web site)
“Field Marshal Colin Campbell, 1st Baron Clyde, GCB, KCSI (20 October 1792 – 14 August 1863), was a British Army officer. After serving in the Peninsular War and the War of 1812, he commanded the 98th Regiment of Foot during the First Opium War and then commanded a brigade during the Second Anglo-Sikh War. He went on to command the Highland Brigade at the Battle of Alma and with his “thin red line of Highlanders” he repulsed the Russian attack on Balaclava during the Crimean War. At an early stage of the Indian Mutiny, he became Commander-in-Chief, India and, in that role, he relieved and then evacuated Lucknow and, after attacking and decisively defeating Tatya Tope at the Second Battle of Cawnpore, captured Lucknow again. Whilst still commander-in-chief he dealt with the ‘White Mutiny’ among East India Company troops, and organised the army sent east in the Second Opium War.”

Well, no obvious connection with Bollington or Kerridge, but I should think he needed a pint after that lot!