This page provides a consolidated list of listed buildings and other historic items. It also includes those structures noted in the Cheshire East Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) which covers all structures that should be considered valuable to the local environment but do not meet the criteria for formal Listing. These are highlighted in the table below by the SPD acronym. All items are also noted on their relevant street pages, together with buildings protected by Conservation Areas and Article 4 Directives. The street names below are linked to their relevant street page. Most links in the listed items are to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England (HE). ‘II’ indicates Grade II listing.
(SPD) Bollington Conservative Club (now offices for the Bollington Group, Adlington House); Mid 19th century Gothic.
Lowerhouse Mill Cottage, Albert Road; II, Formerly a farmhouse and barn, now 2 houses: 17thC. Not publicly accessible.
Parish boundary stone; II, in fields north of Lowerhouse Mill, early 19thC. Not publicly accessible.
Parish boundary stone; II, in fields northeast of Lowerhouse Mill, early 19thC. Not publicly accessible.
1, 1A, 3, 5 and 5A Beeston Brow; II, Formerly 3 houses with weaving lofts above: early 19thC.
Orchard House, 7 Bollington Road; II, Formerly a farmhouse, now a house: early 17thC, with early 20thC alterations to the facade.
St. Oswald’s Church; II, Built 1908.
Barley Grange, 9 Bollington Road; II, Formerly a farmhouse and farmbuilding now house: early 17thC core.
Cock & Pheasant Inn; II, Formerly a house and cottages.
Stables at 101 Bollington Road; II, Stables and coach house: c.1820.
Turner Heath House, 103 Bollington Road; II, Early 18thC origins, rebuilt c.1780.
10 & 12 Bollington Road; II, Formerly a doctor’s house and surgery, now a house and shop.
50 & 52 Bollington Road; II, Pair of cottages, late 18thC/early 19thC.
St John’s Church, Church Street; II, Built 1832-34 by Hayley and Brown for the Church Commissioners. A history of this church is available from the Discovery Centre in the book by the Revd Betts, Bollington Through the Centuries.
Rock Bank House; II, Formerly a house occupied by members of the Swindells family, later a war time hospital, then offices (as Carterbench House), now apartments. Built for Martin Swindells I, c1840 (but he died before its completion). Not publicly accessible.
Clarence Mill, Clarence Road; II, Cotton Mill, core built c.1830, extensively extended until 1920.
Limefield House; II, House built c.1830 for Joseph Brooke, one of the developers of Clarence Mill. Not publicly accessible.
Stables at Limefield House; II, Stables and coach house built with the house c.1830. Not publicly accessible.
Briar Cottage, 4 Clarke Lane; II, Formerly two cottages, now a house: dated 1630 on the deeds.
Barn attached to Cold Arbour farmhouse; II, Formerly a corn barn, now includes a shippon and garage, 16thC. Not publicly accessible.
Cold Arbour Farmhouse, Clarke Lane; II, 16thC origins. Not publicly accessible.
Cold Arbour Barn, Clarke Lane; II, 16thC origins. Not publicly accessible.
Lord Clyde Inn; II, Formerly two weavers’ cottages, now a public house, dated 1843.
Endon Lodge, Clarke Lane; II, Formerly a lodge now a house, built c.1850. Not publicly accessible.
(Listing applied for 14/08/2018) Parish boundary stone; in field hedge east of Cow Lane, early 19thC stone marking junction of boundaries between Bollington, Rainow, and Kerridge. Not publicly accessible.
(SPD) Greg Fountain; Unveiled in 1904 in memory of Samuel Greg.
Oak Bank mill chimney, Green Lane; II, early 19thC, was the high level chimney for Oak Bank Mill.
Rose Cottage, 58 Grimshaw Lane; II, Formerly a farmhouse now a house: 17thC with 19thC alterations.
Adelphi Mill; II, Cotton mill, 1856, by Swindells brothers (not yet noted on Historic England web site).
Macclesfield Canal milestone; II, located a few metres north from the canal access, c.1830.
8A, 10, 12 & 14 High Street and 1 to 5 Mill Cottages and workshop in Watson’s Yard; II, A warehouse, two shops and a cottage on the street front and five cottages and a workshop complex to the rear.
Boundary stone, Ingersley Road; II, in the wall opposite the Poachers Inn, early 19thC.
Parish boundary stone; II, close to the barn at Sowcar Farm, c.early 19thC. Not publicly accessible. There is a further stone on a field edge not far from this parish stone which has not been listed.
Sowcar Farmhouse; II, early 17thC.
Barn at Sowcar Farm; II, Corn barn, late 17thC.
Water trough; II, stone trough at the side of Sowcar Farm barn, dated 1692.
Clough Pool Weir; II, built for Edward Collier, Ingersley Vale Mill, dated 1800.
(SPD) Lowther Street School; Mid 19th century Gothic style School House.
1 Moss Brow; II, House with 17thC core.
9 Moss Brow; II, Farmhouse, 17thC.
11 Moss Brow; II, Formerly part of a farmhouse, late 17thC. Originally an extension to 9 Moss Brow.
Moss Cottage, Moss Brow: II, formally a barn, 18thC.
38 Oak Lane; II, Formerly two houses now a house, built later 18thC.
Stables at Endon Hall; II, Stables and coach house for William Clayton, c.1835. Not publicly accessible.
Macclesfield Canal bridge no.28; II, adjacent to Beehive Cottage (pedestrian access via Dawson Farm drive or through Tinkers Clough from Clough Bank), c.1830 by William Crosley.
Macclesfield Canal dry dock; II, at bottom end of the ‘Rally’ Road, Drydock and wet dock: c.1830.
(SPD) Kerridge War Memorial; II, 1919, private war memorial constructed by the people of Kerridge.
Macclesfield Canal aqueduct over Palmerston Street; II, Built c.1830 by William Crosley, engineer.
Canal quarter mile stone; II, small stone 20m north of aqueduct on towpath. Note that EH page pictures the wrong stone.
Holly Bush Inn; II, Converted to present form c.1935 and is one of few examples of an urban pub from the inter-wars years. This building has been listed in March 2014 in order to protect it and its notable interior. Interior not publicly accessible outside opening hours. (Not noted on Historic England web site.)
(SPD) Bollington War Memorial; II, 1920, A sandstone cross set in memorial gardens.
(SPD) 81 & 83 Palmerston Street; A pair of mid 19th century, double fronted, semi-detached houses.
16, 18, 20 & 22 Queen Street; II, Terrace of four cottages, 18thC.
Parish boundary stone, Shrigley Road; II, 18thC. The original stone was seriously damaged in a road accident and has been replaced in June 2009 with a new and larger stone bearing the same inscription as the original – S (Shrigley) on one face, B (Bollington) on the other. The stone stands at an angle to the road because the boundary crosses the road at that angle!
The Vicarage, Shrigley Road; II, 1898 by Ernest Newton. Not publicly accessible.
Parish boundary stone; II, in fields northeast of Nab, early c.18th/19thC. Not publicly accessible.
Bannister’s Joinery Workshop; II, Formerly Whittaker’s flour bag mill.
(SPD) Water Street School; A redundant 1846 Victorian Wesleyan School now owned by Bollington Initiative Trust and used for community purposes.
Bollington Hall Farmhouse, 83 Wellington Road; II, 16thC origins.
(SPD) 55-63 Wellington Road; Mid 19th century Gothic terraced houses.
(SPD) Brook House and Outbuilding, 53 Wellington Road; C.1860 handsome double-fronted Victorian house, stone with Stucco render.
(SPD) The Manse, 27 Wellington Road; stone Victorian Methodist minister’s house.
4, 6 & 8 Turret Cottages, Windmill Lane; II, Formerly two cottages and a smithy, now three cottages, c.1840 for William Clayton.
Chimney, Windmill Lane; II, 19thC, part of William Clayton’s coal mining business.
Kiln, Windmill Lane; II, Potash or lime kiln, probably late 18thC.
Estate boundary stone; II, dividing two quarries on Kerridge Hill, 1830. Not publicly accessible.
Parish boundary stone: II, in the wall at Ivy House (now called Marksend House), Kerridge Road, Marksend, late 18thC, early 19thC.
‘Listing’ is the process used by Historic England to establish protection over the most valuable examples of our built heritage. Strict rules apply to such buildings with respect to alteration, additions and the need to apply for listed building consent as well as the usual planning permission. Listing also protects the interior of the buildings where relevant.
A lesser level of protection is provided by Conservation Area designation. Again stricter planning controls exist to maintain the look and feel of a heritage area. Specific buildings within a Conservation Area may be issued with an Article 4 Directive to provide a more specific protection to the front, sides, and roof of the building. Article 4 Directives apply only to the outside of the building. They can be used to regulate styles and materials in windows and doors, and the colours used. External finishes are also controlled. Conservation Areas in Bollington and Kerridge are discussed in full on their own pages, and the relevant properties are noted on the street pages.
Cheshire East Council planners also maintain a list of buildings over which special care should be exercised when they become the subject of a planning application.