[Page under development]
Sowcar Farmhouse left c1611….
The house, one of the oldest in Bollington is stone built and consists of an old building with a wing attached at a later date. The old part has stone mullioned windows with the front wall three foot thick at ground level tapering to the thickness of the roof. At some period extensive alterations have been made but great care has been taken to match the original. For example, new doors have been fitted and although they are wide and high, similar to the Georgian period, they are oak and panelled to match the older doors about two foot wide in an oak framed wall which is part of the original house. Also the roof has been removed as shown by the old mortice holes, it appears the original oak beams were used in the renewal. The alterations and the newer wing were probably carried out when it was the home of a Gaskell known as Francis of Sowcar the second
The earliest record traced is a marriage settlement made between 1693 between John Broadhurst and his wife Lydia, daughter of William Shelhorne of Buglawton. In 1703 it passed to their son Thomas who, in 1735 sold it to Thomas Gaskell of Adlington. He in turn gave the farm and lands at Hedgerow to his son John Gaskell a year later in 1736. He also passed it on to his son John Gaskell of Tower Hill Rainow. The property remained in the Gaskell family until 1930 when it was sold by Mrs Maud Kennedy who was the niece of Miss Ann Theodora Gaskell.
1841: James Hough aged forty eight years a farmer from Macclesfield. He lived with his wife Hannah aged fifty years from Bollington and their three servants.
1851: James Hough
1861: James Hough
Our thanks go specifically to Linda Stewart who has researched census and other information to present an interesting history of local people and properties.
Our thanks go to all those who researched and discovered the history that is presented in these pages. Please read the full acknowledgement of their remarkable achievement.