Home » History » Bollington Houses » Bollington Hall Farmhouse

Bollington Hall Farmhouse

Bollington Hall Farmhouse is at 87 Wellington Road. This former farmhouse dates back to the Tudor period, and has a timber-framed core. Its exterior is in sandstone, and has a roof in Kerridge stone-slate with a stone ridge. The house has an L-shaped plan, is in two storeys, and has a three-bay front. The right hand side of the house has a stepped stone chimney flanked by 2-light chamfered rubble mullions.

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The relevant census entries indicate the following:

1861: Farmer Thomas Halton (aged 30) and his wife Elizabeth (aged 31) lived there, both from Bollington, together with 3 daughters and 2 servants. Thomas was a “dairy farmer of twenty acres”.

1871: now Mark Pearson (aged 31) lived there, a farmer of 20 acres, wife his Sarah (aged 30), both from Bollington. They had one daughter Mary (5) and a son John (3). They had 2 servants (from Kettleshulme and Derbyshire).

1878: Mark Pearson (a farmer) still lived there.

1881: William Challiner (aged 27) from Bollington, a farmer of now 40 acres, lived there with wife Margaret (aged 34) from Woodford, and 2 children Marcy (5) and Thomas (7 months), and a 16 year old servant girl from Adlington Cheshire.

1891: William Challiner still lives there with his wife Margaret and now 4 children. William is still a farmer but now also a “Carrier”.

1901: William Challiner is still a farmer and also a “Cab Proprietor”. His wife Margaret is still there along with 4 children aged from 14 to 20. And one boarder who is an insurance agent from Bollington

1911: William Challiner (aged 62) still living there with his wife Margaret (56) and their 2 adult children Oswald 23 and Hannah ( Barlow ) married.

On the 1939 register Bollington Hall farmhouse was occupied by a Hannah Aston Barlow nee Challener (57), a dairy farmer, seemingly living alone although it says she is married ( to Samuel Barlow in 1904 at St Peters in Prestbury). She died in 1951 leaving £649.10s to William Berry a farm worker.

The historical information on this page about the construction of the house is taken from the Images of England website. Our thanks go to Linda Bester, who has researched census information to present an interesting history of the house’s residents.