A short street with stone cottages on one side and the Owlhurst mill, also known by other names, see below, at the top end.
Approach off Church Street.
Nearest shops – Palmerston Street.
Council Ward – East.
William Turner was a local landowner, living at Shrigley Hall, who provided land to develop this part of Bollington. He gave the land for the original St Gregory’s Chapel and graveyard in adjacent Chapel Street together with the land for St John’s church opposite the end of Turner Street in Church Street. Perhaps he should have been honoured with more than this short street and the Turner’s Arms! (now The Turners).
Whittaker’s Bag Mill. Bag refers to flour bags. When milling ceased the building became Bannister’s joinery workshop. That use ended with a fire in the 1980s. The building was converted into apartments at the end of the 20thC.
See Listed Buildings page for the full list and notes regarding Listed, Article 4, and SPD properties.
The links on the structures are to the Historic England web site. Any links to local history pages are to this web site.
|The Owlhurst (mill); II, c.1865; Formerly Whittaker’s flour bag mill, later Bannister’s Joinery Workshop; late 20thC gutted by fire, before conversion to domestic. (Local history page).
This street is in the Bollington Conservation Area. Numbers 1-13 are subject to Article 4 Direction.