7 BOLLINGTON ROAD (north side)
Grade 2 listed.
Originated as a farmhouse built in the early 17th century, with alterations to the façade in the early 20th century. It is built in sandstone and has a welsh slate roof. The house is in two and a half story`s, nearly symmetrical and has a three bay front. The outer bays contain two-story caned bay windows. Above these are half dormers with coped gables and ball finials.
Listing NGR: SJ9221077242
1901. If this house was also the Vicarage then the occupiers were Clergyman Mosley Leyland Batlie or Baylis aged thirty one from Worcester and wife Mary Frances twenty five from Warrington along with one servant
1906 Richard Knowles was living at Orchard House according to the Kelly Directory.
1911. The Knowles family in more detail are, Richard Ernest Knowles aged thirty nine a cotton merchant from Broughton in Lancashire. His wife Dorothy was thirty one and from London.They had three daughters aged from 1 year to 6 years all born in Bollington. They had one cook and a domestic nurse. It is thought Richard Knowles referred to orchard house as the Manor House at this time.
1918. Charles Henry Haigh was living at Orchard House. However, listed on Bollington Photos Archives is a photograph of James and Bessie Barnshaw saying they lived there in 1918
1923 William Lawrence Balls (below) 1882-1960 lived at Orchard House for three years, he was a Doctor Of Science. Awarded CBE 1934. He was given Honorary Fellowship of the Textile Institute in 1943 and appointed Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) in 1944. He was also awarded an Honorary Doctorate in 1953.
Below is an extract from Royal Society Publishing, click on images to enlarge.
1939 Francis Slater lived here aged forty six years, he was a Research Director of Textiles. He lived with his wife Mary and two daughters and one servant
1965 Orchard house was occupied by Mr and Mrs R H Renton who began the Bollington Art Group there in this year.They moved to Kerridge Hill in 1970.
The house was bought by Graham and Ann Farrell who only lived in it for a short time and then sold it to the King family.
David King a dentist bought Orchard House in 1977 and for four years he had his surgery there in the two front rooms before moving to it`s current position on Bollington Road.