Home » Streets » Bollington Road

Bollington Road

Listed buildings | Chapel Street

Bollington Road at Turner Heath

Running from the junction with Henshall Road, which is between Moss Brow and Hall Hill in Bollington Cross, to the roundabout on the A523 Silk Road, Bollington Road passes through terraces of stone cottages and 1930s to 60s brick developments. A small area around the junction with Princess Drive is known as Turner Heath.

Approach directly off the A523 Silk Road, or via Flash Lane, Henshall Road.

Leads to Moss Brow, Kingsway, Flash Lane, Princess Drive, Clarke Lane.

Nearest shops – Taylor’s Stores opposite the Cock & Pheasant; general store and others at Ovenhouse Lane, shops at West Bollington.

Nearest pubs – on the street the Cock & Pheasant.

Council Ward – West.

The Parish Church of St Oswald is in the street.

St. Oswald’s school and church

There are a number of notable buildings in Bollington Road. The picture shows Bollington Cross School with the church beyond.

The distinguished physicist Sir James Chadwick (1891-1974) was educated at the school.

St. Oswald’s church in 1908

St Oswald’s Church, built in 1908, and, since St John’s closed in 2003, the Bollington Parish Church.
Orchard House

On the corner of Moss Brow is one of the most beautiful old houses in Bollington, Orchard House. Other notable houses along the street include Barley Grange, Heath House and the Rookery (see below).
Millennium Cross

To mark the Millennium, a new cross was installed on the green at the junction of Kingsway and Bollington Road. This was created by Doreen Earl who took the stone from her Sycamore Quarry at Kerridge and cut it to shape on a computer controlled stone saw. The impression of the cross and the date, 2000, were cut by sand blasting.

The name Bollington Cross recognises the fact that there has previously been a cross in the village. Unfortunately, the location of this original cross is not known.

The Rookery

The Rookery is another fine house on Bollington Road, the last on the right going towards Macclesfield. It was refurbished and divided into six units in 2004-06.

The house was built and occupied by Philip Antrobus whose family also built several of the original mills in Bollington including Lowerhouse in 1818/19. In 1832 we believe The Rookery to have been occupied by William Crosley, the engineer and builder of the Macclesfield Canal, then being completed.

At that time, 1830s, the house was smaller, extending (see lower picture) from the right side as far as the gutter down pipe to the left of centre.

The Rookery

By 1851 Peter Brooke, Cotton Merchant, age 76, had retired to the house, seemingly a widower having two servants to attend him.

Another notable house on Bollington Road rebuilt by Philip Antrobus is Turner Heath House (opposite Princess Drive today). Antrobus also had a small mill beside the house. Other well known occupiers of Turner Heath House include the Samuel Greg and the Coope families.

Chapel Street, Bollington Cross1

The houses that stand at right angles to Bollington Road and today have the addresses 53 – 59 Bollington Road were once known as Chapel Street (not to be confused with the existent Chapel Street at the other end of town!). These four cottages were actually built as a Primitive Methodist chapel in 1833. The chapel was used for worship and for Sunday School for the local children. The congregation amounted to between 200 and 300 each Sunday! The chapel was disparagingly referred to by non-Methodists as the ‘ranting chapel’!


  1. 200 Years of Bollington Methodism by Jean M. Wright, 2007 , p.61.

Listed structures

See Listed Buildings page for the full list and notes regarding Listed, Article 4, and SPD properties.

The links on the structures are to the Historic England web site. Any links to local history pages are to this web site.

    Heywood’s Farm, 2 & 4 Bollington Road; II, Formerly farmhouse and barn, now two houses: house 17thC, barn early 18thC all with mid 19thC alterations.
  Orchard House, 7 Bollington Road; II, Formerly a farmhouse, now a house: early 17thC, with early 20thC alterations to the façade. (Local history page).
  St. Oswald’s Church; II, Built 1908.
    Barley Grange, 9 Bollington Road; II, Formerly a farm house and farm building now house: early 17thC core. (Local history page).
  Cock & Pheasant Inn; II, Formerly a house and cottages.
    Stables at 101 Bollington Road; II, Stables and coach house: c.1820. (Local history page).
  Turner Heath House, 103 Bollington Road; II, Early 18thC origins, rebuilt c.1780. (Local history page).
2nd listing — ditto —
  10 & 12 Bollington Road & Railings; II, Formerly a doctor’s house and surgery, now a house [and cottage] with raised pavement and railings to roadside. (Local history page).
  50 & 52 Bollington Road; II, Pair of cottages, late 18thC/early 19thC. (Local history page).