(and Brookfield View)
This is a very mixed street with stone cottages and pubs at either end, a couple of large 19thC town houses, several stout 1930s semi-detached brick houses in the middle, plus one 1960s brick bungalow and one modern but very fitting stone cottage built into a very tight corner.
A terrace was completed in late 2009, known as Brookfield View, which is five 2.5 story three bedroomed terraced units in natural stone having fine views across Sowcar meadow into trees on the far side of the valley.
Nearest shops – Palmerston Street
Council Ward – East.
Around the turn of the 19th/20thC Ingersley Road was known as Up Sowcar, pronounced Sooker. This refers to Sowcar brook and meadow which runs alongside the road.
In the 1841 census Ingersley Road was called Sowcar Road. By 1861 it was Sowcar Lane. Finally in 1971 it became Ingersley Road on the census.
More usually known today as Savio House, this name having been provided by the Catholic Order that presently occupies the property.
Ingersley was the country home and estate of the Gaskell family. It was built by John Gaskell, a member of a successful local farming family, about 1774, before any of the major mills in the town.
|A video from James Hough. It starts by looking up Shrigley Road and pans round to Ingersley Road, then to Church Street, finishing at Palmerston Street.
See Listed Buildings page for the full list and notes regarding Listed, Article 4, and SPD properties.
The links on the structures are to the Historic England web site. Any links to local history pages are to this web site.
|Boundary stone, Ingersley Road; II, in the wall opposite the Poachers Inn, early 19thC.
|Parish boundary stone; II, close to the barn at Sowcar Farm, c.early 19thC. Not publicly accessible. There is a further stone on a field edge not far from this parish stone which has not been listed.
|Sowcar Farmhouse; II, early 17thC. (Local history page).
|Barn at Sowcar Farm; II, Corn barn, late 17thC.
|Water trough; II, stone trough at the side of Sowcar Farm barn, dated 1692.
|Ingerlsey Hall (Savio House); II, Formerly Ingersley Hall now religious house [Savio House]: earliest house c.1775 for John Gaskell, remainder 1833 for John Upton Gaskell. (Local history page).
|Conference Hall at Ingersley Hall; II, Formerly coachhouse now a hall: c.1850 for John Upton Gaskell with alterations and additions to rear of c.1950.
|The Cottage at Savio House; II, Formerly farmhouse now hostel: late 18thC with addition to right dated 1850 and 20thC alterations.
Part of this street is in the Bollington Conservation Area. Numbers 7-13 are subject to Article 4 Direction.