(with Courier Row and Stonemill Court)
One part of the long B5090 main road through Bollington, Wellington Road runs from its junction with Palmerston Street at Adlington Road to its junction with Henshall Road at Grimshaw Lane.
Nearest shops – at two points in Wellington Road. Co-op foodstore.
Council Ward – Central.
Pictured at its junction with Grimshaw Lane, this end of Wellington Road provides a selection of shops and services. A gateway between the buildings on the left leads to Courier Row (see below), a couple of delightful cottages with lovely gardens and a pond.
Wellington Road is crossed by the stone arches of the Macclesfield, Bollington & Marple Railway, now converted into the Middlewood Way. Along its length you will find the Town Hall (below), the now closed Methodist church, St Gregory’s church, the Waterhouse estate where Waterhouse mill once stood, the Waterhouse itself and the Bollington Medical Centre, Brook House – an important Bollington house recently restored, Bollington Hall farmhouse – one of the oldest buildings in the area (see below). Terry Waite CBE was born at 60 Wellington Road (opposite the Waterhouse).
|Bollington Town Hall flying the town flag – White Nancy on a green background – on Wellington Road.
Right behind it used to stand Bollington corn mill, probably also dating from the 14thC, whose wheel was fed by a leat that brought water all the way from near Bridgend in Palmerston Street. The mill was demolished very many years ago and Riverbank Close was built across the site in more recent times.
|A fine terrace of stone cottages, 97-107, near the junction with Albert Road.|
On the 1862 map Wellington Road is marked as Wellington Lane, and that’s what it was then, green fields and very few properties.
This is a private road, very short, with just a couple of properties. Older Bollington residents may be heard referring to it as ‘down fout’. The meaning of this phrase has been lost with time although down probably means what it does today – as in ‘going down the village’. But what a fout is we don’t know. It is likely to be a dialect word and maybe a corruption of same. If you have any clues as to its origin and meaning please let me know! There is a reference to the Fout in Bollington Live, edition 30 page 11 , but alas no explanation of the name.
A small part of Wellington Road was once known as Knowle’s Green but the name has dropped out of use over the years. The area involved covered at least the location of the Methodist church, the Manse, the Arts Centre and the railway viaduct (Middlewood Way). It may also have included the area on the opposite side of the road where the Town Hall and St Gregory’s church stand today but we have no specific evidence of this.
The links are all to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England.
Bollington Hall Farmhouse, 83 Wellington Road; II, 16thC origins.
(SPD) 55-63 Wellington Road; Mid 19th century Gothic terraced houses.
(SPD) Brook House and Outbuilding, 53 Wellington Road; C.1860 handsome double-fronted Victorian house, stone with Stucco render.
(SPD) The Manse, 27 Wellington Road; stone Victorian Methodist minister’s house.