An early 2000s development of a five story block of apartments (Dyers Court) together with a curved terrace of three story houses built by Linden Homes on the site of Higher Mills.
Nearest shops – Palmerston Street.
Council Ward – East.
There were two mills at Higher Mills adjacent to a large mill pond. The pond was reduced by nearly half to increase the development area for the houses. Bollington’s brewery, Heaver’s, was located here in the older of the mills; it burnt down in 1931. In the mid 1920s a company called Radion’s had part of the mill for repairing radio valves. Latterly Shrigley Dyers, ‘We Live to Dye!’, used the remaining premises until about 2000.
The original late 18th century three storey block stood at the bottom of Lord Street, Bollington, on a roughly north-south axis, with the mill pool to the east. Part of the pool has been preserved. The original mill was 10 yards wide, and reached 36 yards in length (12 – 14 bays), though it may have been lengthened in stages. A taller and wider block, 12 yards wide, 30 yards long (10 bays), with four storeys was added close to the south end of the original buildings, extending westwards at a right angle to them, in the 1830s.
Extract from George Longden’s Historical Study for the KRIV project