[ page under development ] Modern photo to follow…
SatNav – OS: SJ93757793, Postcode: SK10 5PS
|Picture coming||This delightful stone cottage has been turned into a luxury holiday cottage, right in the middle of Bollington, surrounded by all conveniences for the holiday maker, plus ten minute walking access to a wonderful walking area on the edge of the Cheshire Peak District.|
|Address:||The Glass House, Pool Bank, Palmerston Street, Bollington, Macclesfield SK10 5PS|
|Contact:||Tel: 07971 669684, email: email@example.com, web: www.theglasshouse.uk|
|Facilities:||Two double bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen/dining/living room, outside enclosed courtyard.|
||No pets, no children under 12. Four day minimum booking.|
|Finding it:||In the middle of the old part of Bollington, the property adjoins the back of Pool Bank car park.|
Why the glass house? The property was once occupied by a coloured glass artist. He left behind the most beautiful glazing you will ever see in a cottage!
The fairground on Pool Bank. The Glass House or Poolbank Workshop as it was called then can just be seen in the centre of the photo behind the carousel.
Earlier aerial view in 1930 showing Poolbank Workshop which mid way up on the left, a white-grey shed/garage.
Photo from Britain From Above
History so far..
The Glass House as it is called now, originally called Poolbank Workshop was built in 1823 and used to belong to a man who worked for the fair that frequently visited Bollington. He used it to repair the model horses from the fairground rides and stored other items in there.
It was sold later to John Brown an ex-policeman from Ingersley Road in the early 50s who amongst other things repaired Bugaties in it. John sold it next to Mr Les Bloor for a workshop.
Mr Brian Webb bought it from Les Bloor in the 1990`s. He repaired cars in it and later converted it to a wrought iron workshop before retiring to his narrow boat. He sold the building on to Nigel and Camilla Faulkner.
They bought it as a commercial investment unit and turned it into a Stained Glass workshop which they ran for a few years. It then went through a further change to residential and they re-designed the interior as a living space with a view to selling the property,
However, this conversion proved to be too cramped and claustrophobic; trying to shoe-horn a house into what was only a small garage meant that the internal layout was not successful.
There were also access issues, a house with no grounds and only the car-park to look out on, it was on the market for a considerable time.
Eventually, it was purchased by a local builder, Rob Ost who gutted the interior, re-built and offered it for letting.
Pete and Anne Barrett then bought it for a holiday let, changing it`s name to the Glass House.
If anyone can fill in the gaps please contact Linda Bester
Acknowledgements: Thank you to Brian Webb and Simon and Louis Nottage ( original owners of Bollington Print Shop ) for most of the information above.