Home » History » Bollington Houses » Field Cottage

Field Cottage

Field Cottage 2018

[page under development]

 

 

 

 

      

                           

The 1875 map above shows Field Cottage’s position (x) on the Endon estate. Note at this time Endon Hall was named Endon House.

Field Cottage is hidden away off Oak Fold or the Rally Road as it is known. Incidentally maps indicate that Oak Fold is Higher Lane which is incorrect. Oak fold joins Higher Lane to Oak Lane. No photos have been found of Field Cottage yet apart from an old one of poor quality.

1871: Abraham Williamson and his wife Caroline R. lived at Field Cottage, he was thirty six years old and she was thirty years. Abraham was from Whitworth in Manchester and was a stone merchant. Caroline was from Macclesfield. They had two children Edgar aged 6 years and John aged two years, both were born in Bollington. Caroline’s mother Louisa Cooper, a widow was also living with them, she was sixty four years old and originated from Prestbury. 

1901: Richard Barnes was occupying Field Cottage (described as ‘cottage in a field’ on this census) along with his wife Mary Ann. Richard was a Fifty four years old retired cotton goods warehouse manager and came from Manchester. Mary Ann was a year younger and originated from Oldham.

1906: Joseph Webster Warhurst was the resident at Field Cottage. 

1911: Joseph Webster Warhurst was still at Field Cottage along with his wife Annie from Tipperary in Ireland. They were aged forty five and forty two years respectively. Joseph was a cotton goods merchant from Manchester. They had two children J. Wilson aged eleven years and W. James aged nine years. Both are described as students and both were born in Bramhall in Cheshire. There was also a twenty three year old servant named Julie Evans living at Field Cottage, she was from Peterford in Shropshire. This family was still at Field Cottage in 1915.

1921-1924: Field Cottage was occupied by Alan Murray Gordon Debenham according to Kelly’s Directory and the electoral role.

1926: Kelly’s Directory indicates that Field Cottage was occupied at this time by Ellis Edward Spence and Marjorie Doris Spence.

1930: John Wellesley Orr was living at Field Cottage with Lilian presumably his wife and John Charles Wellesley Orr and finally Clementine Laycock. These details were from the Electoral role so are not detailed. By 1931 only John senior and Lilian Orr were living at Field Cottage.

1939: Lucy Plummer lived at Field Cottage and several other people mainly housekeepers, possibly Field Cottage was a servants house for Endon House as there was no Head Of House?

Latest view below of Field Cottage taken in December 2019. No further information is available although the current owners have been contacted, so any historic information would be greatly appreciated.


Acknowledgements

Our thanks go specifically to Linda Stewart who has researched census and other information to present an interesting history of local people and properties.

Our thanks go to all those who researched and discovered the history that is presented in these pages. Please read the full acknowledgement of their remarkable achievement.

Your Historic Documents

Please don't chuck out those historic documents and pictures! Find out why here.