One of the most delightful streets in Bollington, Lord Street wends its way up the hill from Church Street to Chancery Lane.
The properties are all stone cottages with the very fine Adshead’s Farm House (pictured bottom left) at the top. There are several instances of the cottages being built sideways on to the street, accessed by ginnels. In one case the ginnel leads to a yard with a further row of cottages standing parallel to the street. This area was called Daisybank and included several cottages which were built on ‘The Little Lower Meadow’. Queensbench Building was only called this after 1861, before this time it was just Lord street. Queensbench Building was built by George Redfern from Derby who bought the land from Mary Broster, it was witnessed by Samuel Higginbotham solicitor. Wagstaff Lane is mentioned but it is not sure yet where that was. Queensbench Building is where the 19thC Assize Court Judge would have been put up for the night when he was attending court locally. There is a name stone on the side of the building.
Many properties have fine views over the village and the surrounding countryside.
As a consequence of this tightly packed housing, parking is a major problem on the street.
Nearest shops – Palmerston Street.
The steepest top section of the street was referred to as Adshead Barn Brow in the 1851 census. See the page on Brows.
Conservation: This street is in the Bollington & Kerridge Conservation Area. Numbers 2-54, 5-41 and 21A are subject to Article 4 Direction.