A very old street, possibly dating from Roman times or before, Beeston Mount is part of a route which comes across the fields from Long Lane and beyond, and continues across Shrigley Road, down a field path to Ingersley Road.
Today it is lined with stone cottages and a terrace of late 20th century cottages.
Approach off Shrigley Road.
Nearest shops – Palmerston Street.
Council Ward – Central.
The top end of Beeston Mount leads into an unmade road having a fine stone house on each corner and several old stone cottages beyond.
Martin [Swindells] left Mr. Smith to go into partnership with Thomas Fernley of Stockport. The two partners would appear to have heard something of a cotton mill in a village called Bollington. They drove into the village by way of “Long Lane”, “Cat-ladder” & “Beeston” to see the Clough Mill.
An extract from information given to Emma F. Brooke by her Uncle George Swindells at his residence, Pott Hall, Shrigley in April 1885.
The hill side for about half a mile between Beeston Brow and Nab Lane is known as Beeston and has mostly been quarried for stone. The story suggests that what we today call Beeston Brow might then have been known as Cat Ladder. On the other hand there might not have been a road at Beeston Brow and they might have been using the original track which comes down Beeston Mount. Today one of the paths above Beeston Mount is stepped – maybe it was then – in which case this may have been the ‘ladder’.
Beeston Mount was once called Salt Pie. This probably originates from the track which was part of a ‘salt way’ leading from the Cheshire wiches (Middlewich, Northwich etc.) from where the salt has come for so many centuries.
Conservation: This street is in the Bollington Conservation Area. Numbers 2-22, 1 and 3, 19 and 21 are subject to Article 4 Direction.