Home » Streets » Redway

Redway

From its junction in the middle of Kerridge with Jackson Lane and Oak Lane, Redway extends about 200m up a gentle slope with fine examples of local stone cottages along one side looking out over a small valley of green fields, stone walls and tree lined Kerridge Hill beyond.

Approach off Jackson Lane, Oak Lane, Windmill Lane. Pedestrian path across the fields to Chancery Lane, Cow Lane and Lord Street, Bollington, and to Kerridge Hill and White Nancy.

Pedestrian path across a field to Higher Lane.

Nearest shops – Bollington.

Nearest pub – Bull’s Head.

Council Ward – East.

Access during United Utilities reservoir construction – Access along Redway and Windmill Lane will be severely restricted from the end of September 2019 to the end of December 2020, providing access to residents and their visitors, but no through traffic.

Kerridge home page.

The cottages at the top of the lane (white fronted in the picture left) were the Redway Inn before conversion back into cottages in the early 21stC. The field in the foreground was called `Gatley`s Meadow`. To the right of the cottages is a track leading up Betty`s Brew, as it was once known, to Kerridge Hill (pedestrians only) and White Nancy. To the left is a paved path to Bollington passing a row of five cottages once known as `Two Pence Ha`penny Row`in the early 1900s and birthplace of my (Linda Stewart`s) mother in 1937.
There are many footpaths in Kerridge, particularly between the village centre and the quarries along the hillside. All of these paths are paved with stone. They were heavily used when the quarries were at their peak, with large numbers of quarrymen walking to and from their work. There is a very fine example of a stone wall crossing stile in Redway (left).

Conservation and Listing

Conservation:

This street is in the Kerridge Conservation Area. Numbers 2-40 and 1-5 are subject to Article 4 Direction.

Listed Buildings:

The links are all to the Images of England web site provided by Historic England.

White Nancy monument; II, Kerridge Hill, access via Redway, Folly/summerhouse, erected 1817 for John Gaskell junior.